Creative Industries Makes Bulletproof Glass for Medical Facilities
Bulletproof glass has been incorporated into the safety and security plans across a growing range of industries for quite some time. In recent years, healthcare locations and medical facilities have been putting more emphasis on protective measures. These types of sites include:
- Pharmacies (Case Study)
- Urgent care clinics
- Mental health clinics
- Behavioral health clinics
- Prison pharmacies
- Walk-in healthcare clinics
Here at Creative Industries, we’ve been helping the healthcare industry meet its safety and security needs with bullet-resistant products for decades. We first worked with a pharmacy in the early 1990s, and our first hospital client was in the late 1990s. Since then, we’ve worked with more than 40 healthcare industry customers, providing them with the right products to protect their medical facilities from potential gun violence.
Medical Facilities Past and Present: Safety Concerns on the Rise
While the precursors to both hospitals and pharmacies date all the way back to ancient civilizations, it was during the first ten centuries AD that both began springing up around the world in formats we could recognize. They just didn’t have all the technologies we’ve grown accustomed to in modern times. What’s always been true is this: When people’s lives and health are at stake, tensions inevitably run high, which is why the healthcare industry has long been recognized as one of the most violent fields in which people can work. According to Safeguarding Health in Conflict Coalition, last year’s 2,000+ incidents of violence against medical facilities was a 45% increase from the previous year.
Right here in the US, Time magazine noted earlier this year that there is “…a wave of gun violence sweeping through US hospitals and medical centers, which have struggled to adapt to the growing threats.” We want you to know Creative Industries is here to help with a wide range of bullet-resistant glass windows and pass-thru cabinets, all of which can be customized to meet any medical facility’s unique needs and requirements.
Taking Stock: Does Your Medical Facility Need Bulletproof Glass?
It’s all too easy to think gun violence won’t happen at your pharmacy, hospital, or clinic until it does happen. Awareness is always the first step toward protecting your facility, staff, and the public from potential gun violence. Take stock of your current situation by considering the following:
- Previous Security Incidents: Has your facility had past experiences with break-ins, shootings, or other violent incidents? If so, this indicates a clear need for heightened security measures becomes evident. Don’t think it won’t happen again because it could.
- Rising Local Crime Rates: Is crime, especially violent crime, on the rise in the community where your facility is located? If so, consider increasing your security.
- Handling of Controlled Substances: Pharmacies and other medical facilities handle drugs and medications that bad actors are looking to score. Has there been a surge in drug-related crimes or specific threats in your area? Bulletproof or bullet-resistant glass is a proactive way to increase safety and security.
- Insurance and Liability Concerns: Make no mistake, insurers pay close attention to media headlines such as the ones mentioned earlier. If you can show you’ve taken added security measures, such as protective barriers in the form of bulletproof products, you might be eligible for a reduced premium. You’ll also reduce your liability risk regarding potential lawsuits after an incident.
- Regulatory or Governing Body Recommendations: Have you seen any recommendations or mandates from health or governing bodies that apply to your facility? These are more likely to appear after specific incidents or in response to broader trends.
- Nearby High-Risk Establishments: Is your medical facility near locations with a higher risk of violent incidents (nightclubs, areas with gang activity, and so on)? If so, additional protective measures are a good idea.
Bulletproof Glass for Medical Facilities: Factors to Consider
If you’re considering adding bullet-resistant glass barriers to your medical facility’s safety and security measures, keep the following in mind when exploring potential vendors of bulletproof products:
- Threat Assessment: Before any installation, it’s critical to conduct a thorough threat assessment. This will help determine the type of threats the facility will most likely face and inform decisions regarding the type and strength of the bulletproof glass needed.
- Glass Rating: Bulletproof glass comes in various ratings, depending on its resistance to different calibers of bullets and attack methods. The choice should reflect the identified threats.
- Weight and Structural Support: Bulletproof glass is considerably thicker and heavier than regular glass and gets increasingly thicker and heavier the higher the level of protection. Your facility’s infrastructure must be able to support the additional weight, which may require structural modifications.
- Regulatory and Health Standards: Be sure that, whatever vendor you choose has the installation expertise to meet any and all health, safety, and building codes that may apply to medical facilities like yours.
- Visibility and Clarity: It’s crucial that any installed bulletproof glass provides clear visibility.
- Access Points and Functionalities: Consider how the bulletproof glass will affect daily operations and how the staff in any given location will interact with patients, such as passing medications or documents back and forth through the barrier.
- Ventilation and Speech Transfer: Thick bulletproof glass impacts the ability of staff to communicate with patients through said glass. Make sure the vendor you choose has solutions to facilitate verbal communication through the barrier.
- Cost and Budgeting: Bulletproof glass and its installation can be expensive. Consider the full costs, including potential modifications to the building’s structure, to ensure a vendor’s estimate will fit your budget.
- Installation Process: Installing bulletproof products can be as disruptive as any other renovation. Plan for potential disruptions to regular operations and coordinate installations during off-hours or less busy times.
Why Choose Creative Industries for Bulletproof Glass?
Mark and Mike Clark, co-owners of Creative Industries, became involved in the family business of manufacturing bulletproof glass products in the 1980s, and the company itself dates back a decade before that. When you choose Creative Industries as your partner for bullet-resistant barriers and related products, you can count on the following:
- Experience and Expertise: We’ve been helping clients achieve greater safety and security for nearly fifty years, with customers across a wide range of industries, including medical facilities.
- Quality of Materials: Not all bulletproof glass is created equal. At Creative Industries, we keep quality front and center, only offering products that meet or exceed industry standards and are suitable for your facility’s specific threat assessment.
- Customization Options: While our catalog of products showcases a variety of standard options, it’s important to know we can fully customize any of our products to meet the specific needs of your facility.
- Installation Timeline: If we assist in the installation of our products to your facility, we will work with you and the architect to make it as non-disruptive as possible.
- Collaborative Approach: At Creative Industries, you’ll never feel like just another customer to be dealt with as quickly as possible. We always take the time to get to know your facility, understand its needs and operations, and work with you in a highly collaborative way to ensure your requirements are as affordable as possible.
Ready to get the ball rolling and find out how Creative Industries can make your medical facility safer and more secure? Please get in touch through the Contact Us page of our website or call us directly at 800-776-2068. We look forward to meeting you!